April 23, 2008

envy and whining in utah county

have you ever met one of  those ladies?  you know, the one who is seemingly perfect.  she is thin and beautiful even though she has six kids (who are also perfectly beautiful).  her hair is pretty and of course always looks like she just walked out of the salon.  she has the flawless skin that doesn't look like she would ever have to wear make-up.  she's dressed to the nines and actually has clothes that are in style but also classy.  her house is amazing and is in alpine.  i met just such a lady yesterday.  a friend and i went to a jewelry open house at the aforementioned amazing home.  oh and did i mention that she has talent and makes beautiful jewelry?  also that her handsome husband is an attorney and does investments on the side...therefore i am guessing that she makes this jewelry because she enjoys it, not really because she needs the money.  of course all of the ladies who were at this open house looked just like she did, perfect, and were buying up this jewelry at an alarming rate so you know she is doing well with it.  when i see this kind of lady it makes me look at myself and not be so kind.  i'm overweight, my clothes are definately not in style (because that kind of money all goes to the kids),  my hair is out of date (but dave loves it so it has to stay), i most certainly do not have the flawless skin, we live in a small older home that i think will never actually be finished, i drive an older vehicle, i buy jewelry from her even though i can't afford it because i don't want to be the only loser there who can't buy it (even though i shouldn't),  blah blah blah.  i do have the handsome husband thing going for me.  mine is very handsome and although his job doesn't pay much it is very important and i am so proud of him for doing it. and my kids are perfectly beautiful. so there you go...all of my insecurities out there for the world to see.  

**clarification:  this lady is very kind and pretty inside too.

7 comments:

Don and Jacki said...

give yourself a little credit, honey! just because this lady looked like she had everything on the ball, doesn't mean she does. she probably has more insecurities than anyone will ever know. be happy with the fact, that you don't have to have "stuff" to be happy! you have what counts and we all love you!

haley said...

amen jack! first off let me tell you why 'she' should be jealous of you... you may not think you are beauitful, but all growing up i always wanted to look just like my aunt marci and be like her (at least the parts i knew about at the time- lol). you are an amazing mom, woman, stitcher(is that a word), aunt/sister, listener... etc, etc, etc. you can take a small dump of a house and turn it into a home that ANYONE would love to live in. you have an eye for beauty- you see the potential in so many things others would and do disregard (is that the right word?). people may not be intimidated by your home, or your car, or your clothing... but many are intimidated by YOU!!!! take away that ladies car, her house, her hubby's fancy job, her money, her friends with money burning holes in their pocket and is she a lady you would really want to be???? i doubt it. cause nobody can top my aunt marci. sorry, but its true! plus, the more i see people like this and meet people like this i really hope others never look at me like this. i want to be the girl that everyone feels like i am on their 'level'. i guess i'll get off my soap box now, but know that i love ya marci, every ounce of you. your talents, your clothes, your buff arms, your house, the scary van your hubby was driving today, your kids. i love it all!!!! don't be jealous of her stuff cause i know you really wouldn't trade anything you have for hers... well, maybe a new car would be nice....

Mindy said...

Marci, you really never know what her life is really like... she might actually envy you! I totally know how you feel, though, because I have those same jealous feelings when I meet people who seem to have it all together.

Wilky's said...

Hey Marci...I know it's been YEARS since we have even seen each other...until I moved in up the road. But let me remind you of the Marci I knew way back when, and I am most certainly sure that you are the same one...That would be the Marci that everyone loved,,everyone! You were so fun, loving, and happy to be with. You were one of my great friends then, and we had some very fun times! And let me tell you this, when I found out that you lived just down the road from where we built our home, I felt so nervous! I have changed since way back when, both physically and socially, I was very nervous to see you. All I can say is that you seem to be the same sweet Marci that I hung out with in Jr. High. I love that Marci, and I know that sounds tacky and all, but don't be so hard on yourself! You are such a great mom, wife, and you are soooo stinkin' talented! Many people envy you, including me. I would love to be able to write like you do on your blog and your website, and create the things you do. You are truley talented and I can't get over how cool everything is that you do!

Don and Jacki said...

AMEN! to all of what has been said. Go get a Coke and "toast" to the beautiful woman that you are!

Marci said...

wow...that's all i have to say. thank you. you all are so very sweet and you just made my year! i'm printing this page out and posting it somewhere so i can see it everyday!!
jack~thanks for being my big sister...you rock..but make mine a pepsi, eh?
hay~i do have pretty buff arms, don't i? plus nobody could endure the scary van stuff like me. :) i love ya girl.
tanya~how very sweet are you? we did have lots of fun..crazy fun. i'm glad that we are getting to be friends again and that you remember the good stuff.:)
mind~i'm glad to hear that i am not the only one! and you are skinny and pretty and probably one of those women!!!!

Mels said...

Hey Marci, I completely agree with everything that everyone else has said, but I just have to add one other thought...You may not have all the material possessions this lady has, but you know that your friends love you for who you are and not for what you have. You are talented and beautiful, and your friends and family love you very much for who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails