August 20, 2008

maya's tale finalized at last...

we got to court that morning and i was more than nervous. this day could possibly be the day that the legal system would officially cut all legal ties between mom and baby.  i had to testify in front of birth mom about how i felt about the baby and the fact that we wanted to adopt her. we went in the courtroom and listened to three hours of testimony...from the social worker, maya's guardian ad litem, and a social worker in the state where she had lived before.  she had an older daughter that had been taken from her in that state and the story from there was a sad one.  i shed more than a few tears listening to that story.  all through this i am looking at this woman.  she had given birth to the baby who i loved so dearly.  i watched her, trying to look at what was happening through her eyes.  i wish that i could have talked to her at some point during this whole process so that i could have heard her thoughts.  finally it was my turn to take the stand.  dave & i had been seated on the back row this whole time totally unnoticed by birth mom.  from the time i stood up until the time we left the courtroom she never took her eyes off of me.  i told the judge how much i loved this child, how she was thriving in our home and finally that we would love nothing more than to adopt her.  sometimes on these court dates when they are terminating parental rights they can wait a few days before the judge hands down the verdict.  because of the overwhelming testimony in this case the judge ruled that day that parental rights would be terminated and we could proceed with the adoption.  the law is this...we would have to wait 30 days to give the birth mom time to appeal the decision. luckily she didn't.  on the day of the adoption the lawyer for the state actually had tears in her eyes because of the support that we had in the courtroom.  the judge said that he  had never seen that much support at an adoption.  that's what kind of family and friends we have.  the judge asked dave how he felt about this little girl and would he be willing to take on the responsibility of taking care of her every need.  my sweet husband cried and told the judge just how he felt.  while i am immediately capable of diving in head first with my heart my husband is a little more cautious.  it takes him a few months.  but the bond that had developed between him and maya was powerful.  i loved that the judge had given him the opportunity to say what was in his heart. what a special day that was.  the most special thing was this though...dave and i had taken mady to the temple to be sealed exactly 11 yrs to the day before we were able to take maya.  the end.

9 comments:

Rachel H. said...

SUCH a sweet story. So glad everything worked out this way. What a lucky girl!

Adam and Kristina said...

That's so great!

I was thinking back to the termination hearings I participated in, and I can't remember if the adoptive parents ever testified. It was usually beside the point anyway, but I can see why it could be neccessary also. If the child isn't in a good home, then the liklihood they would terminate is probably lower.

Bridgette and Alan said...

I'm sorry I was unable to be at Maya's adoption. I was at Peyton's court hearing and was fighting tears then. I'm very happy these two little girls are in your home. I love them as I do all my nieces and nephews. Something inside me tells me that the birth mother is also happy her children are so loved.

Sorry about the confusing layout of our blog. We moved it around a little so you can tell there have been changes. I've been gone and took my laptop to make changes but the hotels didn't provide free internet. We like to top pic so we don't want to move it.

The Tolman Family said...

Marci,

Ok I cried with each segment. What an amazing story. I am glad that I was able to share some of those occasitons with you. We loved being at the Temple with you and Dave when she was Sealed to you guys. I think I will print this story and put it with the page I did in my scrapbook.

Luv ya

Mindy said...

I love it! What a happy beginning! ;) What are you going to write about next? I need something to look forward to every day! ;)

don and jacki said...

Who would have ever thunk?
You have 3 beautiful girls who are lucky to have you and Dave who couldn't love them anymore than you do. I'm so proud of you! You are such a great MOM!

Tanya said...

you are a great mom marci! they are so lucky! way to make me cry!

girlsmama said...

Amazing story! Thank you for sharing.

Jessica said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your adoption story. I am the editor of the Utah Baby Guide (www.utahbabyguide.com) and I would like to publish it in the September issue. Will you email me at j.taufer@utahbabyguide.com and let me know if you will give me permission to use it? It is a free magazine for new and expecting parents. Thanks!
Jessica Taufer
j.taufer@utahbabyguide.com
www.utahbabyguide.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails