November 19, 2008

it must be getting winter...

every year about this time i cook up a big ol' pot of my aunt evelyn's chili.  i double the recipe and freeze a bunch and it lasts us through the winter....lots of navaho tacos and yummy chili for cold winter nights.  so i thought i would share my yummy recipe...dave says it's the best around!

aunt evelyn's chili

3 C red beans, i use pinto 6 C water
2 or 3 bay leaves
2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 lb pork sausage
3 large onions, chopped
3 garlic buds, minced
2 1/2 can tomatoes (28 oz cans or quart bottles)
3- 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 small chili peppers, i use serano
3/4 tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp powdered cumin seed 1 Tbsp salt
1/4 tsp. tobasco sauce

follow instructions on beans about soaking.  wash beans thoroughly and cook  until tender with water and bay leaves.  brown meat, onions, and garlic.  add beans along with remaining ingredients.  simmer together 1 hour then cool and refrigerate.  usually best when reheated.  serves 12.  we buy scone dough and then put the chili on top of scones with cheese, lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes and avacado and make navaho tacos.  

~like i said above...i always double the batch and then freeze most of it.  you need a BIG pot for that though so be prepared.  it's yummy!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love chili! This sounds like it would be delicious in a bread bowl.

Tanya said...

YUM! that sounds so good, and we love love love navajo tacos too!

Mel said...

I've always thought my mom's chili was the best, so I'll have to give this one a whirl...

We went to Kneaders for dinner the other night & I tried their asiago bisque soup - I'm in love. I'm on a quest to find a similar recipe.

I'm a soup girl.

Hand Picked Daisy said...

Hi marci,
Let me know what you want to get and I'll send you an invoice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails