November 8, 2008

langston hughes...

I, too

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes.
But I laugh
And eat well
And grow strong.

Tomorrow
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me
“Eat in the Kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed -

I, too, am America.

~when i read this poem tonight by langston hughes it choked me up a little. i know this past election was a controversial one. i know many people are discouraged about the candidate that was chosen to lead our country. it will be an interesting time the next few years to see what comes about.

one of the things that has been awesome to me during this election is this...i have 3 bi-racial girls. they are all varying degrees of african american. i have tried to learn about the people who came before us that made it possible for these girls to be born in a time when they have all of the rights that are afforded to me. there have been so many african americans throughout time that have given great sacrifices to make sure that my girls can ride a bus, or vote, or be able to drink out of the same drinking fountain as every one else. they have made my girls human beings instead of a color. i have tried to teach them that. i am so grateful that my girls have people like barack obama to show them that anything is possible for them. i am so lucky because i will always be measured by my actions and not by the color of my skin. my girls are not afforded that right, but my hope and prayer is that someday that will not be. when an african american can be elected as the president of our country that brings my hope one step closer to reality. so, while i know many of you are not pleased with the outcome of the election...and i know for many of you it has nothing to do with the color of his skin...i am pleased for the simple fact that my girls now have another person to look at and know anything is possible.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Amen!

Mindy said...

I am one who was hoping for a different outcome... but, I can totally see how amazing this is for us as a nation... to have an african american president is a huge thing, and I am so grateful for doors that it will open for your girls and others.

Tanya said...

I totally agree with Mindy.
Hey Marci....sorry I didn't call you last week to go and get smoothies. We were sick here at home. Let's try and go before Thanksgiving...what is your schedule until then?

Related Posts with Thumbnails