February 11, 2009

the best kind of gift...

we went to my mom's a couple of weeks ago and she gave me something.  it won't look like much to you but to me it's a treasure...


so this is my mom's pancake skillet thing-a-ma-bob.  i love it because you can cook lots of pancakes at a time and the plate fits under there so they stay warm!  it's older than me and i'm 36...that's a lot of pancakes, my friends.  it's worn and seasoned and very well used.  i think that is why it is a treasure to me.  it brings back many, many good memories of my mom cooking.  my mom is a fabulous cook, i'd put her up against paula dean any day of the week.  she always cooked yummy stuff and so many of my happy memories of childhood surround her cooking.  tonight i made one of my family's favorite recipes, stacked tacos.  that's another treasure she's handed down to me, lots of good recipes.  i've never heard of anyone else that makes these and so i thought i would share our family recipe with you all.  it's long and there are actually a couple of recipes here so bear with me.  they are well worth the effort!:D

egg masa tortillas


2 eggs
1 Tbsp melted shortening
3/4 c milk
1/2 c masa harina (dehydrated masa flour)  you can find it in the mexican food aisle
2 Tbsp regular all purpose wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat together all of the ingredients to make a smooth batter.  Use 2 Tbsp batter for each tortilla.  Spread a spoonful of batter onto a greased griddle, swirling the batter to round our the tortilla to a 5 or 6" diameter.  Bake lightly on each side.  This makes 10 tortillas but I always double the recipe so we can have left-overs.  Here's a picture of what they should look like...


*this is the recipe of what goes on top of the little tortillas...


maria's enchilada sauce


1 C shortening 6 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 C flour 1/2 C chili powder
2 qts water 1 large can tomato juice
6 tsp salt 1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar dash of cinnamon

Mix one quart of sauce and 1 large can red chili sauce...the walmart brand works great!  This is also found in the mexican food aisle.
Use 1 quart of enchilada sauce with 1 lb. cooked ground beef.  I usually double this recipe too and freeze it in 1 qt sizes so that i can easily add the hamburger and chili sauce.  Then I always have it on hand when we're craving stacked tacos.  Just thaw it and add the hamburger then.

For the stacked tacos you put a tortilla, then sauce, then grated cheese, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, chopped avocados, chopped green onions.  Then start add another tortilla on top and start all over again.  My hubby likes sour cream on top and I like more hot sauce, you can just do whatever your family likes.  These are a little spicy what with all the chili powder and red chili sauce but they are YUMMY!!  My mom always served these when we had company and I've had them for bunco and everyone always loves them.

so there you go...a little of my family.  hope you make em and love em!



3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have been obsessed with Cafe Rio enchiladas lately! These look awesome!

Rachel H. said...

awww....THANKS for sharing. I loved taking a peek into your life today....what a fun gift!

girlsmama said...

mmmm...sounds delicious. I'll have to try them...

Related Posts with Thumbnails