February 23, 2009

my little punkin patch

we spent all glorious day in the yard on saturday...it was a balmy 47!  it really felt good out there and was a perfect day to clean out the punkin patch.  i have an awesome little patch of ground tucked in behind the bird pens that was originally set aside for the punkin patch...it's slowly evolved into an awesome nook with roses and flowers and a big awesome grass.;-)  that's a picture up there of it when it's in its full glory...

last year was a rough year for gardening and me.  i had the farm chicks show and then raspberry days to get ready for and everything else just kind of slipped into the background.  that means that my yard is far from being ready for spring this year.  it was so awesome to get outside in the dirt and rake and prune and get everything ready...i love spring.  i walk around my yard on a daily basis looking for signs that the flowers are going to come out soon.  the buds are already starting to swell on the lilacs and the trees.  there were just the slightest little bumps on the rose canes that leaves were starting to form.  i love it!!  i also love spending the days outside working side by side with big d making our little piece of land come to life.  it's one of the most simple pleasures in my life.  i'm so blessed to have those simple gifts.

so if you haven't had the time to get outside and get things ready now is the time.  you can plant your peas on st. patty's day and it's a good time to prune all the dead off of your plants.  you should wait until the forsythia start to bloom before you prune your roses but i usually start a little earlier.  when i get ready to do that i'll post a little tutorial on here about how to properly prune them.  they are one of my favorite plants and i have lots of them to prune so i'm getting to be pretty good at it.:D

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I kill houseplants. Imagine what I would do with a garden.

Mel said...

I am ready to be outside! We are planting a few trees this year - adding & adding.

Hey, my steamer may work on your grout - it has a really cool attachment. As for the shower - I am not as impressed. However Tilex Mold & Mildew/green Scotch scrubbies are the best I've found so far. A little LimeAWay for the super tough spots. (Money Cleaners).

So on one of those gloomy days when you are stuck inside & want to earn extra hubby points from big D, call me & I'll bring it over.

Tanya said...

yay...i can't wait to learn from the best! my yard needs work,,,lots and lots of work. plus i need money to add trees and bushes and flowers and stuff...so i was wondering)))do you have any way to make a normal tree into a money tree? ;)

Mindy said...

What a pretty little spot! There are so many spots in my yard that could be little havens, but I have NO IDEA how to take care of these plants. sigh.

don and jacki said...

when you get bored with your yard, i have a great big one that needs tons of help!

Ashley Willoughby said...

You and Michelle need to do a little neighborhood gardening class for those of us who struggle..I'm with Tanya, teach us how to grow a money tree!
ashleywby2@aol.com

The Tolman Family said...

Marci, I miss you guys. I sure loved reading about your home and small piece of land too. I hope we can get together some time soo.
Jason

Related Posts with Thumbnails