February 9, 2009

tales from the bus...

do you ever have those days when you think to yourself, 'self, what else could go wrong today?'  i had one of those days today.  it started out beautifully at 5am..now for those of you who know me well i am NOT a morning person.  so 5am wake-up is my own private hell.  i was excited today because i didn't have to drive one of the 1990 'sub-buses'.  the guy i was driving for was sick so i got to drive his bus.  i drive through snow in the dark out to saratoga springs...i hate saratoga springs.  it is a lovely place but whoever designed it with those street names must have hated his bus driver as a youngster.  it is hard to maneuver during the day when it's light outside but throw some snow and dark into the mix and it is not pretty.  it's hard to find the streets, especially in the southern most regions, and the streets are about as wide as the bus and people like to park on the side of them...you do the math.  so i get all the kids loaded up, turn the corner and every light on my dash lights up  and then nothing.  dead bus.  thank goodness that these kids were high schoolers because if i would have had a bus full of elementary kids i would have left them high and dry and walked home.  seriously.  luckily bus drivers are quite possibly the most helpful bunch of people you could ever meet and two buses showed up to take the kids to school.  45 minutes later, that's how far out of town we were, the maintenance guys show up with a replacement bus and off i went to my next run. first i stopped to get some morning caffeine and locked myself out of my bus AGAIN.  luckily this one had a side door so it was a little lower to the ground and not so hard to climb into. finally finished my run and all is well.  i come home and go back to the garage at 1:30...plenty of time to pick up my high school students, on a normal day.  you know it, today was early out day so i completely missed my high school run.  in tears people.  am i the moron who is the only moron who forgets early out day...the sweet little secretary at the garage told me i'm not and in fact someone else did the same thing today.  whew.  i did make it in time for my grade-school kids and got them home safe and sound.  on my way back to town i looked down and the gas light was on.  i went to the gas station and began filling up and my little paper with my pin # on it so that i can get fuel blows out of my hand and under the bus.  i had to get down on my stomach with a broom and get that little paper out of there.  before i left that gas station i literally looked 3 times to make sure that the gas pumper thingy was not still in the bus...that is what kind of day i had today.  thank goodness it is  over and i can start again tomorrow.:D  616 clear.

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow, that is a crazy day! And I'm glad it was you and not me. :)

Felicia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Do something for yourself tonight...you deserve it.

Tanya said...

not to be mean...but me and kelly are laughing, especially at the picture we have of you crawling under your bus. you're a trooper!

Mindy said...

You're amazing! I couldn't even begin to do any of the things that you accomplished (even with mistakes!) today!

haley said...

oh sweet thing! i'm so sorry!!! you totally could have called and cried to me (cause you know i'm good for it) and i won't laugh at you like tanya!!!!! speaking of tanya, when are we going to all get together and play?

girlsmama said...

I have to admit. I giggled. I'm glad you kept going and hope today is better. It has to be right?

Marci said...

if this made you giggle or even laugh out loud i'm actually happy. someone has to get a laugh out of it right? that's why i wrote about it...so you all could laugh now and i can look back on it and laugh someday! thank you for all the kind words from you sweet ones!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails