March 1, 2009

momma's chicken pie...


i'm makin one of my family's faves tonight and thought i would share the love because, believe you me, this pie = love...

my mom actually makes this with turkey but i never have that so i use chicken instead.
cook 3 chicken breasts with a stalk of celery cut in half , a half an onion quartered, and about 1 Tbsp of salt.

old fashioned chicken pie


2 c cubed turkey or chicken
1 Tbsp flour 1 c chopped onion
1 c sliced carrots 1/4 c sliced celery
1 can or 2 c green beans 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
1/8 tsp pepper 1/4 c butter
1 can golden mushroom soup  pastry for 2 crust pie

toss turkey/chicken with flour.  in saucepan cook carrots, onions, and celery with thyme and pepper in butter until tender.   stir in soup, turkey mix and green beans.  pour into pie shell, cover with top crust and brush with milk.  bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  i use two cans of gravy and you just pour some over each piece of pie.  my mom also makes little individual pies with this recipe but she makes a circle out of crust and then spoons some on half of the circle.  then you fold it over and seal around the edges.  those are awesome because they are really easy to freeze.

~hope you get to try this recipe...i'm serious...it is YUMMY!!  forgive the crust on this pie but my pie crusts always come out looking a little ummm, rustic.  the first thing i saw that made me a farm chicks stalker was this article...those pies are perfection.  someday, i too, will make crusts as beautiful as those.:D

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love chicken pot pie! I haven't had it in forever.

Mindy said...

The taste of the crust is soooo much more important than the looks! I do like to admire a pretty pie, though. ;) Your pie looks delicious. Sigh... we had spaghetti for dinner.

Rachel H. said...

do I send you a bill for the short that occurred in my computer monitor while I was licking it when your picture came up??

yum...you sure do know how to work it with your pot pie!

Tanya said...

yum!!! do you make your own crust? i want to make this this week!

Marci said...

m~i totally agree mind and that crust was delicious!!

r~send it on over and it's a good thing i know how to work it with something!;)

t~i have a super good crust recipe...let me know if you want it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails