September 21, 2009

my boy...

this is my boy, drake. he's been a part of my daily life for 14 yrs. 14 yrs is a long time in dog terms. we've been swimming together, he's peed on my leg to mark me as his, he's sat by me while i weeded, we've gone 4-wheeling and camping together many many times. the last year he's started slowing down. he lost his hearing and his sight wasn't what it used to be. he used to be able to hear dave's truck when it was at the top of the road and lately you had to stand right in front of him for him to know you were there. on friday night someone hit both of our dogs. we're not sure who because they didn't bother to stop. luckily abby, our other lab, is going to be ok. when we took drake to the vet today we found out he had kidney disease and the hip injury he got on friday was nothing compared to everything else that was going on with our old man. we had to make a tough decision but we've been preparing ourselves for it all weekend. lots of tears at our house. lots and lots of tears. so today he left us here to go to a better place. one where he can run and chase birds and feel like a pup again. i'm going to miss his brown eyes and having him laying in the drive way when i get home. i'm going to miss scratching his belly and having him with me in the garden....but i'm so glad that he gets to feel good again. i read a poem at the vet's office that said that someday when it's my time to go he'll be there and when he sees me he'll run through the field and be so happy to see me. i'll be happy to see him too. goodbye my boy, thank you for being such a good and loyal friend.

8 comments:

girlsmama said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Marci. As a fellow lab lover and owner I truly understand your pain. But we'll get to see them again. HUGS!

Kristina P. said...

Oh, I am so sad for you! I'm thinking of you, Marci!

Mindy said...

I'm so sorry Marci! He's a beautiful dog, and a true best friend. Sending love and hugs your way...

Britny Hill said...

Oh sweet heart! I'm so so sorry!! What a heart wrenching time for you. Our love is with you....

Charma said...

It's hard to loose them. I am wiping a tear...

Jenny said...

So sorry Marci. We had to say goodbye to John's 14 year old lab a couple of years ago. It's never easy to say goodbye to a best friend even when you know it's for the best. I'm thinkin' of ya.

Gretchen said...

oooo marci...that gave me goosebumps.

The Tolman Family said...

From Jason T. I am so, so sorry he left this life is such a bad way. I remember when you got him. He was a good dog. HOpe to see you soon again. Jason T.

Related Posts with Thumbnails