May 17, 2010

a girl, a gun and a turkey...

do you all remember telling you about the turkey tag?
well about 5 weeks ago it was time for me to take gun in hand and search for a turkey...

CAUTION:  THERE IS HUNTING PHOTOS BELOW...
IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF PETA OR HATE 
THE SIGHT OF DEAD ANIMALS DO NOT CONTINUE.

we loaded up and headed off to the fertile hunting grounds of fillmore, utah.  i was just mainly excited to get to spend the night away with my honey and two of my favorite people, my brother and sister-in-law.  i secretly was a little nervous that i may seriously have to shoot a turkey...
well those two men were gonna make darn good and sure that happened.  so we drive around a little and head out to the honey spot...i've been sworn to secrecy as to the location of said honey spot.  hunters are funny about stuff like that.

we drove down this little dirt road and spy some turkeys.
then i started to get a little excited.
they dress me up in this get-up...


yeah...giggle a little at me cuz it's funny.  i giggled a little myself.
we cruise through a field, over fences, under fences until we get to the perfect little spot.
well what i didn't know about turkey hunting is that there is a lot of very quiet waiting.
like hours of very quiet waiting....
so we settle in.  he tells me i have to lay on my stomach and be quiet.
that works for a while.
then i had to sit up.
then i had to lay on my back.
i kinda felt like a little kid.
but it was beautiful.  just the perfect spring evening temperature.
out in the middle of nowhere.
with birds singing and singing beautifully.
and i got to lay there quietly with my sweetheart....just kind of hanging out and enjoying nature.


this is what i stared at...i wish i would've taken one on my back because it was beeautiful.

not far away my brother and sister-in-law also sat.
he was calling in the turkeys with his turkey call.
he had set out some decoys of female turkeys.

oh and did i mention the crazy rednecks who live down there who go out every night and just shoot randomly?  scared the crap out of me because i watch too many murder shows and kept thinking they were going to hunt us like one episode of  criminal minds.  they were crazy rednecks too.  spooky.

we laid there for about 3 1/2 hours and then it finally happened.  eric called and a tom answered.  then he called again and another answer only closer and then he just kept getting closer and closer.
i was on my belly waiting....let me jump back a bit and tell you this...

 i told the man that perhaps i would be better off sitting and shooting
 because my arms just aren't that long.  he told me that wouldn't work and i should
 just shoot prone, which is on your stomach.
  i knew arguing would be futile so i just did as i was told.  i'm obedient sometimes.
  just when it involves things like guns and boy stuff. 

so back to the story.  turkey is getting closer and closer...then i saw him.  he hit the edge of the clearing that we were watching.  then he just took off like a bat out of hell.  full dead run, i did not know turkeys could run that fast.  he was quick.  of course he was excited thinking that at the end of that run was a girl turkey and he was gonna get him a little lovin.  he would run a little and then kind of puff up but it was like he couldn't decide whether he needed to show off or just get to it.  get to it was winning.  all of a sudden the man says shoot...the gun goes up...shoot now he says...trying to site the little bugger in...pull the trigger.  darkness.  big d video taped it and you can hear him say...mars pick up the gun...mars?...me moaning...he's off to chase the thing down.  i come to a few seconds later.  follow him down a little hollow all the while thinking...hmmm something's not quite right here.  i find him, the others join us.  the turkey is down so obviously i hit him.  don't remember a thing...the man is all sorts of excited and proud and giddy about all this.  me, i'm  a little dazed and confused. 

me: um, dave, i think i broke my collar bone.  
him: aww you'll be ok...we didn't tell you this but turkey shot has one of the nastiest kicks there is.  we didn't want you to be scared to shoot so we didn't tell you.

luckily the adrenaline was pumping and it took a few hours for the pain to really set in.  we went to the little hospital in fillmore and got an ice pack.  stopped the next day on the way home and saw a movie.  took our time, enjoyed not having the kids.

when we got home we went to the insta-care.  they took me in to x-ray it and POP!  my bone popped somewhere it wasn't supposed to and i felt pain like i haven't felt since i was in labor.  i about passed out.  sure enough that bone was split right down the middle.  all they can do for you is give you pain killers, which i don't like to take, and give you a little sling.  these last 5 weeks have been the longest of my life. 

i just thank god that i got that turkey.
i also know that hunting is not for me.
dave said that i just didn't feel all the excitement because i got hurt.
i'm not so sure about that.
i think i'll leave the actual shooting up to him and i'll just be the side-kick  from now on.
i'll just lay there and look at the trees and listen to the birds.
that's a nice, safe thing to do.
  


do you see how happy that man is?  that made it worth it...kinda.;D

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You guys are hardcore!

Mindy said...

Ah, Marci!! You look SO adorable in those pictures, but I am SO sorry you broke your collarbone! One of my yw just broke hers playing soccer (knocked the kid out that hit his head on her collarbone), and I've seen how miserable and homebound she has been. I read your other post... it's not on here... and just wanted to say HUGS, and I wish I could help you. I'd wash your hair for you... I only wish I had long gorgeous thick hair to wash. :) I hope you're able to get into your gardening soon. Love you!

The Tolman Family said...

Marci, Thats one beautiful bird. I broke my collarbone at age 13 and remmeber it hurt bad. I cant believe you were so calm about it. Hope are feeling better now.
Jason Tolman

Noelle said...

Oh my holy big turkey!!! Way to go!!! And I'm so sorry about your collarbone...and if you need me to come and weekd for you just say the word!!!

bri said...

Dude, you rock.

Related Posts with Thumbnails