September 12, 2010

country when country isn't cool...

rumor has it that the first song i learned to sing was
'I'm A Rhinestone Cowboy' by Glen Campbell.
my roots are in country.
of course during my youth i spent a period of time in elementary school
going with the 'preppy' thing.
izods, penny loafers and calvin kleins.
my friends and i had  sweatshirts specially made that said
i love michael jackson on them.
i think i may have worn one white glove to school.  don't be a hater.
then in jr. high i dabbled in new wave.
baggy clothes, big bows (it was the 80's),  jesus sandals.
listening to oingo boingo, madonna, duran duran...oh the list goes on and on.
the 80's were and always will be the best time in music.
i also had a pair of justin ropers in the closet and my
brother taught me how to run barrels
and rope a goat.  i had my own piggin string.  true story.
high school.  oh high school.
they were my granola days.
i ironed my hair...this was before flat irons. i know i'm old.
that's all i'm sayin about those granola days.
there were concerts and long haired boys...nuff said.
and now where am i?
right back to my roots.
i live in the country and shoot turkeys.;D lol

i know right now you are scratchin your head and saying why is she telling us all this?
this is what i'm getting to...i just took the long way around.
we do that in the country.
oh i digress again....

last spring i was talking to my friend vanessa.
she is a blogging genius who has created quite a little niche for herself.
of course in the spring my mind always turns to picking up business and keeping
on top of my website....it hasn't been updated in a looonnngg time.
anyways...i was asking v advice on building readership.
she told me one of the good ways to entice people over here was to find other
blogs that are my style and make clever comments.
i'd read that same advice before.
here's the problem.
i didn't know what my style was.
i love sooo many blogs that are white, with a touch of grey.
i love the colorful houses that are a little more modern.
i even like a home that has been decorated with industrial modernism sometimes.
but what is my style?
well i love antiques, we all know that.
i also love the cottage look.
but deep down inside i am a country girl.
and i'm not sure it's cool anymore but it's what i am.
i am what i am.
if you come to my house and see the deer head on the wall...that is not me.
that's all him.  but a girl has to give in every once in a while.  he does pay the mortgage.;D

well we've been redoing our bathroom...a long, long process.
and guess what?  it's country to the core.
old galvanized metal roofing off of the cabin for a tub surround.
planks on the ceiling and a galvanized bucket for a sink.
we aren't quite done but when we are i'll show you some pictures.
so i guess what i'm sayin is this...
i am country when country isn't cool.
now-a-days i think they call it farmhouse chic.



don't forget the show of the century is this saturday!
i know you don't want to miss it!!
xo,

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails